The long-awaited return of direct flights from Canada to Athens is finally here! Air Canada has resumed daily flights from Montreal and Toronto to Athens International Airport, bringing a much-needed boost to Greek tourism.
- Air Canada resumes direct flights from Montreal and Toronto to Athens
- First direct flights arrived in Athens in late March
- Boosts Greek tourism after a 70% drop in international arrivals in 2021
- Canada was among the top 10 markets for Greek tourism in 2021
- Greek Tourism Minister welcomes the positive development
🇨🇦 A Boon for Greek Tourism
As an experienced travel journalist, Kevin Erickson knows how essential direct flights are for tourists. The resumption of these direct flights comes as a relief to Greek tourism, which experienced a 70% drop in international tourist arrivals in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. According to data from the Greek Tourism Confederation (SETE), Canada ranked among the top 10 markets for Greek tourism in 2021, with over 200,000 Canadian visitors.
✈️ Air Canada’s Direct Flights Schedule
The first direct flight from Toronto arrived in Athens on March 27, followed by the flight from Montreal on March 28. The flights are scheduled to run through November 26, 2023, providing ample opportunity for Canadian travelers to explore Greece’s rich culture, history, and natural beauty.
🌟 A Warm Welcome from Greek Tourism Minister
Greek Tourism Minister Harry Theoharis expressed his enthusiasm for the return of direct flights, stating, “The resumption of direct flights from Canada to Athens is a positive development for Greek tourism, as it will make it easier for Canadian travelers to visit our country and experience its rich culture, history, and natural beauty.”
💡 Insider Tips from Kevin Erickson
With his extensive knowledge of Greece, Kevin Erickson recommends visiting the following must-see destinations:
- Athens: The Acropolis and Parthenon, Ancient Agora, and the National Archaeological Museum
- Santorini: The stunning caldera views, picturesque villages, and the Red Beach
- Crete: The Palace of Knossos, the scenic Samaria Gorge, and the beautiful Balos Lagoon
Remember to book your trip soon and take advantage of the direct flights from Canada to Greece!
This post is also available in: